Save the Date for the 2012 Shining Lights Awards Gala: April 12, 2012
Please click here for the up-to-date information regarding the 2012 Awards Gala.
About the Awards Gala:
The Shining Lights… Awards Gala is an annual awards and fundraising gala of the National Resource Center for Hispanic Mental Health, an outgrowth of the New Jersey Mental Health Institute’s award-winning and nationally and internationally recognized Changing Minds, Advancing Mental Health for Hispanics program. We honor outstanding individual and organizational leaders who have demonstrated a genuine commitment to creating a brighter future for Hispanics, and continue our mission of ensuring an equitable and respectful mental health service delivery system for all Hispanics, including those with Limited English Proficiency.
Proceeds from the Shining Lights… Awards Gala will benefit activities of the National Resource Center for Hispanic Mental Health, which plays a key role in addressing the nationwide lack of availability of, access to and the provision of quality mental health services for Hispanics. The National Resource Center for Hispanic Mental Health specifically aims to reduce disparities and to increase treatment quality and availability of mental health services for Hispanics throughout the nation by implementing an array of strategies utilizing a four-prong approach:
- Developing culturally competent resources and tools.
- Developing and fostering the development of best practice programs.
- Delivering high-quality trainings on culturally competent mental health service delivery.
- Institutionalizing systems for access and eliminating disparities.
Additionally, the National Resource Center for Hispanic Mental Health also aims to heighten awareness, acceptance and understanding of mental illness among the Hispanic population.
Project activities that proceeds will benefit include, but are not limited to:
- The center’s Hispanic Higher Education Scholarship Fund, a scholarship program targeted to bilingual and bicultural individuals interested in pursuing a Master in Social Work degree from a New Jersey-based university.
- The expansion and/or creation of bilingual public education campaigns targeted to Hispanics on various mental health topics, including treatment compliance, stigma, and available mental health services.
- The production of videos and other training materials to educate mental health organizational providers and individual direct service clinicians nationwide on best practices in providing quality and culturally and linguistically competent mental health services to Hispanics.
Previous Awards Galas
The Shining Lights… Awards Gala has been honoring Outstanding Leaders for a Brighter Future for Hispanics since 2004. Please click on a year for information on winners, sponsors and photos: